Aug 14, 2008

Liz Taylor Murdered: The power of SPAM going too far

Today's #4 highest search term at Google Trends is "Liz Taylor Murdered". Out of curiosity, I clicked on it, as this is quite a shocking story.

From Google: Hot Trends (USA)

Aug 14, 2008 - change date
Updated 25 minutes ago


Guess what: the story about "Liz Taylor murdered" is a FAKE!

Don't you hate when you chase a story to learn what's happening, only to find out you've been duped by EMAIL SPAM? It happens to the best of us. However, I figured this one must be a fake because the Today show hadn't mentioned it, and "Liz Taylor murdered" would be one of those national stories to hit ALL the airwaves very quickly. As of last time I checked, Liz Taylor is now 76 and is still making appearances in glittery gowns with that wonderful smile of hers.

Frankly, I think it is a sick tactic by email spammers to use a celebrity murder to draw more traffic to their site. Worse than that, this email purportedly contains a VIRUS. Icky, huh?

So, why am I writing about it?

The first reason I'm writing about Liz Taylor murdered: To illustrate the power of EMAIL MARKETING If you're not yet dialed into ETHICAL email marketing, you might consider it. I help people design email campaigns and also offer a powerful email marketing software solution for anyone who is serious about doing massive email campaigns without SPAMMING people.

The second reason I'm discussing Liz Taylor murdered: To illustrate the power of KEY WORD PHRASES. If you haven't optimized your website key word phrases you might consider hiring an expert (hint, hint) to help you optimize your website for more traffic.

The third reason I'm talking about Liz Taylor murdered: Because I'm running a simple article marketing test to see if this article draws traffic just by discussing the email spam of a fake story. How crazy is that? I thought it made for an interesting research angle, so that's how I'm approaching it.

We'll see what happens and I'll report back to you on my findings soon.
________________________________________

Liz Taylor "Cleopatra" photo from Wikipedia.
Article Copyright © 2008 by ARRiiVE Business Solutions. All Rights Reserved. SUBSCRIBE.

Like it? Share on del.icio.us or Stumble Upon!

No comments:

Post a Comment