Jun 16, 2008

Executive Goal Setting and Achieving

I recently dug back into my process of setting goals that enabled me to realize 70% of my goals each year from 1996 - 2001. For some reason, I got away from that system in 2001, and spent several years not achieving things quite the same way.

This year, I re-implemented my old high-success system into my goal-setting approach to daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually, and 10-year goals. Yes, I'm that extensive.

The whole list may be found at AspireNow's blog. However, only a subset of those goals apply to my corporate goal-setting. I DO suggest you review the whole list, because many executives make the mistake of focusing ONLY on their corporate goals and then wonder 10 years down the road why they have no life balance. Don't make that mistake!

A proven process for executive goal setting:

If you're wanting to zero in on your corporate and team goals, I DO suggest setting aside some time for these goals. This article is also featured on one of ARRiiVE: Innovations In Business Radio Shows:



Here is the process I recommend you use to implement your executive goals:

1. How you write each goal matters!

Use the phrase "I am..." with each goal.
Use "On or before..." for dates.
Use "Or less" or "Or more" for quantities.

2. Write each goal on a 3" x 5" index card.

On the index card, list the category, such as personal, team, or career, then write the goal underneath that category.

3. Also put the goal on your computer. Create a computer dream board with your goals.

After you complete your index cards, I suggest you also create a dream board with your goals. Create a dream board for your computer and your physical space. I recommend Orange Peel's dream board computer software to also put this on your computer.

Start Creating Your Vision Board Today!

4. Create a physical vision board to see your goals throughout the day, too.

On your physical dream board in your office, I recommend you put each goal under a category:

1. Personal Development

2. Team Development

3. Career Long-term

Then, put your top goal - or top three goals - under each category. If you must write more than one goal on your index card, at least keep them categorized by Personal, Team, and Career goals. If find it most effective to separate them out this way.

5. Revisit, Revise, Renew.

Make sure to revisit your goals each day morning and before you quit work for the day. Also, revisit them each week, if a short-term goal, or each month, if a long-term goal. Do a complete review each quarter to see if revisions in scheduling, teams, approach, or other aspects of action must be addressed to ensure you realize your goals each year. Check off any completed goal. Add new goals as you have the space, time, and ability to take on more challenges into your work flow.

By following this system, you'll not only set more goals, you'll also achieve more of the goals you set for yourself, your company, and your career. I strongly recommend you utilize this system of executive goal setting and achieving more in your aspirations so that you can truly say you've "ARRIVED" in your career.
________________________________________

Copyright © 1999-2008 by ARRiiVE Business Solutions. All Rights Reserved. SUBSCRIBE.

No comments:

Post a Comment